[CentOS-devel] No available modular metadata for modular package

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Sep 18 20:14:29 UTC 2020

On 9/18/20 10:45 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 9/18/20 8:31 AM, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 08:28:26AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> There was an issue with the pungi compose for both the latest mysql
>>> module and the ds-389 module .. we are working on both of these now.
>>>
>>> There seems to be a bug in module metadata (in the module build system)
>>> when reusing some of the older builds ... we are looking at it now.
>>>
>>> So we are working on the actual issue, the cause of this issue, and some
>>> kind of test to properly check for this specific issue in the future.
>>

> OK .. we created a check script that we can use at compose time to check
> the items that will be placed in the modulemd.  This will let us get an
> update published in a few minutes that fixes mysql and 389-ds.
>
> I still want / need something for the t_functional that specifically
> tests modules that exist in the release.  I am going to start working on
> this test today .. but good ideas can be posted here in git am format or
> contact me on IRC (freenode:  hughesjr)
>
> Again .. here is the source code of the test suite that we run:
>
> https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-t_functional
>
> In the next hour or so, after I run some more tests, I should release
> this compose.  It only contains metadata at this point.
>
> We are also working on a newer centos-release for CentOS 8 Linux
> (centos-release-8.2-2.2004.0.2.el8). This may also get into the release.
>  It should let us use separate release files for CentOS Linux and CentOS
> Stream in the future.

OK guys .. all the modules should be working now on mirror.centos.org ..
and external mirrors should catch up soon (if you are using mirrorlist).

This was a bug where MBS did not copy over metadata for rpms that it
reused in the module build process.. so the modulemd file was missing
info for reused rpms.

If anyone else has any other issues with this problem .. post on this
list or contact me on IRC (freenode: hughesjr).

We have done 2 things to try to prevent this in the future.

1) We have a post compose script that looks at modulemd of the new and
last update .. if they contain a different set or rpms, it prints a
warning to check it manually.

2)  We are upgrading the MBS/Koji build system we use for CentOS Linux 8
/ CentOS Stream to newer versions this quarter.

As a third thing .. I am working on some dnf module tests i can do in
the t_functional suite .. but suggestions, patch requests welcome for this:

https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-t_functional

Also, the new centos-release file did indeed also get in this update set.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes