[CentOS-devel] Fedora/CentOS authentication merge : April 1st status

Thu Apr 1 16:40:24 UTC 2021
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

Let me start this email by saying that it's *not* a joke (despite April
1st date) :-)

As announced, we turned today https://accounts.centos.org into Read-Only
mode , so that we were sure that nothing would change (frozen state) wrt
users status and group membership, while all services continued to be
usable (including for example https://cbs.centos.org)

Mark O'Brien and myself then kicked the fas2ipa script, to ensure that
it would have enough time to parse the CentOS accounts and groups as
first sanity check.

Number of users: 1097
Number of groups: 31

But we found a particular case for people who were registered in both
FAS and ACO , with different nickname *but* same email address, so the
script failed to import these users (81 accounts)

The taken action was to send a mail to concerned users so that they can
decide which solution they want to adopt :

Basically, either consolidating centos group membership on their FAS
account (and so using their FAS account for both projects) *or* update
their email address so that the fas2ipa script would be able to import
them (but that would mean two different accounts in same auth platform)
. We'll take action on case-by-case through email feedback for these users.

All in all it seems that it went ok for the sanity check tests and that
means that it's green light for the real infra switch on Tuesday April 6th.

PS : quite some users were in SKIPPED state, as they never took action
for the "email address match for same nickname" situation, explained in
previous email
(https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2021-March/076690.html)

Kind Regards,
--