[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream Feature Request SIG Proposal

Fri Apr 9 17:56:56 UTC 2021
Brian Stinson <bstinson at redhat.com>

On 4/9/21 12:08 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> Thanks for the proposal.
>
> Could there be a scenario where changes are accepted into CentOS Stream
> and then not accepted into RHEL or would this be to catch these
> suggestions earlier before they get to the public Stream release ?
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>
>> On 9 Apr 2021, at 18:37, Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com
>> <mailto:amoloney at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I would like to share with you all a proposal I have submitted on
>> creating a SIG dedicated to reviewing and triaging feature requests
>> that come from CentOS Stream development intended for future RHEL
>> releases.
>>
>> The full proposal can be read on the CentOS wiki [0] and an issue has
>> been opened on the CentOS board tracker [1] for review and decision.
>>
>> Here is the proposal summary and I welcome any thoughts, feedback and
>> discussion:
>>
>> Purpose
>> The purpose of this SIG will be to serve as a gate for feature
>> requests that are first developed in CentOS Stream from contributors
>> who wish to request these features to be included in future RHEL
>> releases and are then filed in bugzilla. The SIGs overall goal is to
>> make sure that features which have been filed and have technical merit
>> are triaged internally to the correct venue for further review and
>> development. The SIG will take ownership of regular bugzilla reviews
>> filed under Stream and map feature requests from these bugzillas
>> against the formal RHEL Feature Request criteria to identify and file
>> qualifying requests inside Red Hat to achieve this.
>>

>> I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>> Aoife,
>>
>> [0] -
>> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/StreamFeatureRequest
>> <https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/StreamFeatureRequest>
>> [1] - https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/33
>> <https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/33>
>> --
>>
>> Aoife Moloney
>> Product Owner
>> Community Platform Engineering Team
>> Red Hat EMEA
>> Communications House
>> Cork Road
>> Waterford

We want to catch things that are somewhat higher-level than individual
bugs. The opportunity here is to make sure "Features" go to the right
place, and that status is communicated regularly. In some cases this
means asking Red Hat to consider prioritizing engineering against an
initiative, other times it makes more sense to spin up a SIG, other
times it might make sense to recommend something like EPEL.

An example of something that would have been considered by this group is
the recently completed work to build and ship Stream 8 container images
to quay.io.

--Brian