[CentOS-devel] releasever does not contain variant as expected

Wed Dec 8 09:31:25 UTC 2021
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 08/12/2021 10:00, Marc Dequènes (Duck) wrote:
> Quack,
>
> (this is a post I made for centos@ on 2021-10-27 and that never made it
> on the list for some unknown reason; retrying here since it's still
> current)
>
> I'm trying to install CentOS Stream directly without switching from
> Linux to Stream in our automated install. The changes were
> straightforward but I was very surprised to get CentOS Linux instead of
> the expected CentOS Stream.
>
> I captured the virt-install call to check if there was any mistake and
> that's fine:
> virt-install -n taiste.osci.io --memory=2048,maxmemory=4096 --memballoon
> virtio --disk bus=virtio,path=/dev/vg_Spritz/taiste.osci.io
> --vcpus=1,maxvcpus=2
> --initrd-inject=/etc/libvirt/kickstarts/taiste.osci.io/ks.cfg
> --autostart --noautoconsole --watchdog default --arch x86_64 -l
> http://mirror.rackspace.com/CentOS/8-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/os/ --network
> bridge=virbr0,model=virtio --graphics none -x 'net.ifnames=0
> inst.ks=file:/ks.cfg ks=file:/ks.cfg console=tty0 console=ttyS0'
>
> Our kickstart (ks.cfg) contains:
>   url
> --mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=BaseOS
>
> and that has worked for ages.
>
> Digging deeper I found out $releasever only contains the major version
> without the variant (like "6Server" on RHEL for eg).
>
> DNF is using a new variable $stream that breaks compatibility with the
> past and AFAIK is only available through DNF (but I can't use it in the
> kickstart for all versions anyway).
>
> Since we're using Ansible I can work around that but I was wondering if
> there was any way to handle this better in a retro-compatible way.
>
> Regards.
> \_o<

Well, I think it was already discussed multiple times on this list but
yeah, $releasever is and will remain the corresponding version so
8-stream will answer 8 and 9-stream will answer 9. Stream uses another
yum/dnf variable called "stream" :

See on a 8-stream :

cat /etc/yum/vars/stream
8-stream

grep mirrorlist /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Stream-BaseOS.repo
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$stream&arch=$basearch&repo=BaseOS&infra=$infra

That's the reason why even for CentOS Infra we have a specific {{
centos_version }} declared in our ansible inventories that was 8 and now
by default is 8-stream for the kickstart we use :

https://github.com/CentOS/ansible-infra-playbooks/blob/master/templates/kickstarts/centos-8-ks.cfg.j2#L6

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab