[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Tue Feb 2 05:03:31 UTC 2021
redbaronbrowser <redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com>

On Monday, February 1, 2021 4:57 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other stuff is in Fedora under the Fedora CI banner.

That is fine but the messaging of what, where, when and how of Stream has been extremely poor.  I can't find a reference to that on the CentOS blog or FAQ.

In fact, the Karsten Wade blog post was worded in a way that implied these tests were already being applied to Stream.

> That will have much more of an impact when CentOS Stream 9 opens
> in three months.

Hopefully someone can walk me through this part.

So, we have been told the life cycle of Stream is 5 years.

Stream 8 was released September 24, 2019 so a period of 5 years should go at least to September 2024.

We will have both a Stream 8 and a Stream 9 from May 2021 to September 2024?  And then Stream 9 will continue to May 2026?

Should we expect a third Stream 10 to be added 18 months after May?

> Most of those tests are in the Fedora Git server now:
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/projects/tests/*
>
> Some extra tests are part of the package git repositories, like in the
> case of sudo: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/sudo/blob/master/f/tests
>
> But these things aren't available for CentOS Stream 8 and I'm not sure
> they ever will be, since they're being rewritten more or less from
> scratch and upstreamed into Fedora now for CentOS Stream 9.

Well, there have been Red Hat employees that stated in December that "enough information" had been provided for everyone to make their choice.

I made my choice at that point that I wanted to help prepare Stream 8 for the CentOS 8 termination date.  I have no interest in Stream 9, there was nothing stated about it at the time we had "enough information."  If Red Hat is unwilling to help greatly improve CI/CD for the remaining 3+ years of Stream 8, that is going to be extremely frustrating.