[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Wed Feb 3 17:12:52 UTC 2021
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

> Or.... a small miracle could occur, the mis-step of discarding point
> releases in favor of making all CentOS 8 users the beta users for
> RHEL, and CentOS go back to publishing point releases that match RHEL
> point releases. That was precisely what happened the last time Red Hat
> tried to discard point releases with "Red Hat 9" back in 2003. RHEL
> came out a few years later with point releases, and CentOS was
> developed to match.

The first 'pointless' release was Guinness (RHL 7), if I remember
correctly.  Nice bit of revisionism in your post, by the way, as the
reality is that the CentOS 'point releases' came before RHEL's 'point
releases.'

RHEL went with 'update rollup' numbering for a long while (up through
4U9), but the CentOS trees just replaced the U with a . instead; it's
not been that long ago since that was finally retired at the end of ELS
for RHEL 4U9 in 2017, although CentOS never had the ELS SRPMs to
rebuild.  So there was never a 'RHEL 3.1;' there was RHEL 3 Update 1
(3U1), up through RHEL 4U9.  Yes, that is a bit of a semantic
hair-splitting, but hear me out here....

It also wasn't a hard cutover where one day we had Red Hat Linux 9 and
the next day we had Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3; RHEL (in the form of RHL
6.2E (which could be considered RHEL 1, even though it wasn't called
that) and RHAS 2.1 "Pensacola") had been around for a bit prior to
Shrike.  Taroon (RHEL 3) came after Ca^H^HSevern, but Pensacola was
released shortly after Ham^H^H^HSkipjack, in March 2002, a full year
before Shrike (RHL 9) was released.  A fun fact about Pensacola is, if I
remember correctly, that it carried the MAJOR version of 2.1 through
seven update cycles; so you had the last update roll-up package RHEL
2.1U7 in 2005, although it was supported through the end of May 2009;
there was never a RHEL 2.2, and RHEL 2.1U7 is not RHEL 2.7.  I still
have a CentOS 2.1 VM running some internal code that had been running on
RHL 5.2 up until three or four years ago (that RHL 5.2 box ran for
almost twenty years).  (Most of this information is available at
https://access.redhat.com/articles/3078 although RHL 6.2E doesn't make
that page; also see
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/fedora-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux/index.html
)

So Red Hat taking a year to get its toes wet and figure out what to do
isn't a new thing; RHEL releases overlapped 'regular' RHL releases for
three years if you count Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition 6.2E as 'RHEL
1,' which was GA on 2000-03-27; Shrike (RHL 9) went GA on 2003-03-31,
although Cam^H^H^HSevern (the supposed RHL 10 beta) went public beta
2003-07-21; Taroon (RHEL 3) didn't go GA until 2003-10-22. It took Red
Hat that long to make the tough decision to get out of the 6-month-cycle
retail boxed set space.

Back to the versioning, originally the 'RHEL Y Update X' releases were
considered (at least by me) as 'update rollups' (Windows-speak: Service
Packs or just see MS' definitions at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/standard-terminology-software-updates
) and not 'point releases;' it wasn't until RHEL 5 that they really can
be considered 'point releases' if I remember correctly.  And I always
reserve the right to be wrong, or to mis-remember things, but I'm using
my private archives of several mailing lists, public and private, for
source material here, as well as the two histories I've linked to
above.  Updating was pretty primitive back then, and it had not been
long since the first version of 'up2date' had been released.  Having
'update rollups' released on CD is convenient, especially for new
installs, rather than install the GA and slog through all the updates to
get up to the current update set.

But with 5.x through 8.x Red Hat seems to have yielded to the 'point
release' model, and the pattern changed somewhat relative to what had
been the case with RHEL 4Ux, with much more major changes happening in
early 'minor versions' (which is what I take 'point release' to mean,
instead of just being my perception of the original 'update rollup'
model where there aren't really 'minor versions' in this sense).  So
your 'few years' is technically correct for RHEL.

HOWEVER, the CentOS releases always had the confusing 'point' in them
(see vault.centos.org's directory tree).  BUT, the Red Hat FTP site with
the source RPMs have neither point releases nor Update numbers visible
anywhere; you have the GA SRPMS and the updates SRPMS (all of them, not
just the latest version, stuffed into a single directory).  There is NO
tag to show, in the updates tree, which update (or point release) had
what SRPM.  You can look for yourself; that FTP site is still up and
still has the historical SRPMs in it; the base directories are
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/ and
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/  (for regular RHL
everything is at http://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/
).  CentOS 2.1 is a special case in this regard; CentOS 3.1 should
really be considered the starting point; there is no CentOS 3.0.

So CentOS Stream, other than only containing the latest RPMS, follows
right in the footsteps of RHEL's SRPMS distribution pattern that's been
from the very beginning; if all you have are the RHEL SRPMS there are NO
point releases to be seen anywhere.  This 'pointless-ness' is NOT really
a change in direction for RHEL; it is a change in CentOS users' (and
later RHEL users, VARs, and software/hardware vendors) assumptions about
'point releases' that were addressed (at least an attempt was made to
address the assumptions) by the CentOS 7 'pointless' versioning that
everybody got riled up about.

It is understandable that people want a reference point for support; a
rolling release model makes that difficult, and thus 'point releases' to
provide such a reference point becomes SOP, even if that 'point release'
is horribly out of date and insecure, but has the shared-library
link-print that the software or hardware needs.

I welcome informed corrections and additions to what I've written here;
I was an observer during this time for the most part, not a 'doer' of
any rebuild itself, and my perspective is biased a bit by that point of
view, I'm sure.