[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

Fri Feb 26 20:32:59 UTC 2021
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> If you want a list of actual use cases for CentOS Linux I have been involved or benefited from in the past, I can try to provide that list for you.
>
> If you need a current immediate use case, I don't really have that -- at least not something you would consider a serious request.
>
> I have wanted for a while to rebuild CentOS for the Hercules emulator.  Neither CentOS or Fedora provide anything for the zSeries platform which makes getting started hard.  As far as I know the ROSI offering is not inteded to provide access to the zSeries build of RHEL or to support hobby linux distro rebuild projects.  WIth the recent announcement there are probably plenty of other projects more worthy of consideration than doing that.  Again, it isn't something I expect you would take to be a serious request.  If ROSI ends up be a long term offer and things settle down then I might make my request then.

I assume here you mean s390 (the 32-bit-that's-really-31-bit
architecture) is the architecture you want to target? Because Fedora
(and RHEL) support s390x (the 64-bit successor to s390). IBM has
previously expressed interest in a CentOS build for IBM Z systems for
RDO (specifically the LinuxONE), but I don't know if anything came out
of that. It'd be nice to have all RHEL architectures present in CentOS
Stream. :)

As for having s390, there is an AltArch SIG which is currently
producing armv7hl builds, and that would be the right place to extend
and build for s390.