[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

Fri Feb 26 20:45:53 UTC 2021
redbaronbrowser <redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com>

On Friday, February 26, 2021 2:32 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel
> centos-devel at centos.org wrote:
>
> > If you want a list of actual use cases for CentOS Linux I have been involved or benefited from in the past, I can try to provide that list for you.
> > If you need a current immediate use case, I don't really have that -- at least not something you would consider a serious request.
> > I have wanted for a while to rebuild CentOS for the Hercules emulator. Neither CentOS or Fedora provide anything for the zSeries platform which makes getting started hard. As far as I know the ROSI offering is not inteded to provide access to the zSeries build of RHEL or to support hobby linux distro rebuild projects. WIth the recent announcement there are probably plenty of other projects more worthy of consideration than doing that. Again, it isn't something I expect you would take to be a serious request. If ROSI ends up be a long term offer and things settle down then I might make my request then.
>
> I assume here you mean s390 (the 32-bit-that's-really-31-bit
> architecture) is the architecture you want to target? Because Fedora
> (and RHEL) support s390x (the 64-bit successor to s390). IBM has
> previously expressed interest in a CentOS build for IBM Z systems for
> RDO (specifically the LinuxONE), but I don't know if anything came out
> of that. It'd be nice to have all RHEL architectures present in CentOS
> Stream. :)
>
> As for having s390, there is an AltArch SIG which is currently
> producing armv7hl builds, and that would be the right place to extend
> and build for s390.

I believe s390x is supposed to be supported by Hercules.

My approach had been to try to cross compile which fell apart quickly.

I didn't see either s390 or s390x listed in CentOS AltArch but s390x is listed in Fedora.  I will try that as a starting point.

At this point this is just a hobby project.  I can't say if I will ever have anything worth releasing or would be of interest to others.  The best I hope for in the short term was something to blog about.  Getting to the point of building OpenStack/RDO looks like trying to build Mount Everest from were I am at right now.

Thanks for the pointers.