[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS SIGs

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 14:42:24 UTC 2021

On 1/14/21 7:10 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I participate sporadically in the CentOS Storage SIG and I have some questions.
>
> "They are also requested to hold regular (at least monthly) public
> meetings" - would you please write the name of the person who is
> requesting this?

Me, on behalf of the Board of Directors.

> Would you please say what outcomes you expect for a monthly meeting?

Meetings should cover status - what's been happening, what's planned,
and where people can participate. And it's an opportunity for users to
complain about what's broken, and ask for help. It is one way to engage
with the community, and forces a periodic retrospective and refocusing
of the work. It also ensures that this isn't just a couple of engineers
doing work inside their company.

Note that some projects choose to have these weekly, others monthly -
whatever works for the particular SIG. The important thing is not the
cadence so much as that there's a clearly defined point in time where
you know you can get the attention of a SIG's leadership.

Note also that if your SIG prefers to have "meetings" via email, for the
benefit of multi-timezone, multi-language participants, I certainly
think that's fine too. We have evolved a process where IRC meetings are
the norm, but they are certainly not the only way to do things.