[CentOS-devel] [EXT] First round of RHEL programs announced

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 14:20:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:48 AM Peter Georg <
peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> On 20/01/2021 14.14, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Hi all, I know this was a hot topic on the list so I thought I'd share
> > today's blog post which covers no-cost RHEL for small production
> workloads
> > and no-cost RHEL for customer development teams.  Keep in mind there are
> > other programs coming, these just got done first.
> >

> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel
> >
> > Bullet Points:
> >
> >     - Self-Support RHEL for no-cost in production use cases of up to 16
> >     systems.
> >     - No-cost RHEL for customer development teams (larger number of
> systems
> >     for non-production cases).
> >     - Available no later than February 1
> >     - Single Sign-on via a Red Hat account, or Github, Twitter, Facebook
> or
> >     other accounts (You'll soon not need to provide all kinds of personal
> >     information like you used to).
>

> In the blog post it is also mentioned that some users "had specific
> technical questions [...]. We’ve been listening. We know that CentOS
> Linux was fulfilling a wide variety of important roles."
>
> So I now ask myself: Has any of these questions actually been answered
> by now? I'm one of these users and so far I only got an automatic reply.
>
> Probably not the correct topic to ask this question, but I simply didn't
> know where else to ask.

I don't know about all of the questions but there were specific ones I've
personally been following about the sign-up/sign-in process (simplified as
noted in the blog post).  We're also aware of some CI cases that we've
looked into.  I expect we'll have a blog post or video about best practices
on how to automate registration and de-registration as well as automated
clean-up of registered systems that are now gone.  Another big one is
entitlement enforcement (IE: in the old world when you hit your 16 server
limit, you're prevented from attaching new systems.  It is universally
hated.).  We've got some changes coming there to address general quality of
life issues like that.

            -Mike