[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 18:29:35 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:57 AM Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:54 AM Jake Shipton
> <listmail at crazylinuxnerd.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2021-01-25 at 02:38 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > I do not believe that they'll stop. Just because they'll stop
> > > building
> > > it doesn't mean that they can't continue to use it as a mechanism for
> > > delivering the sources in a way that's straightforward to understand
> > > and build.
> > Indeed. Let's not forget we're talking about a git repository here, and
> > how git works.
>
> Yes, let's not forget how it works...
>
> > The way the git.centos.org is currently laid out is basically 1 package
> > is 1 repository.
> >
> > Within that repository are separate branches, these branches are
> > currently set out as follows (for CentOS 8):
> >
> > c8
> > c8-beta
> > c8s
>
> There is no "RHEL" branches above. The "c8" is for "CentOS Linux". It
> is not a view of the RHEL internal Git repositories. It is a process
> which seems mostly manually, whereby content is copied and de-branded
> from points in time in the RHEL internal Git repositories, to the "c8"
> branch. The result is then made available for "CentOS 8 Linux" users
> and build processes to consume.
>
> No CentOS 8 Linux means no need to maintain this "c8" branch. We
> already see cases where one or the other branch isn't maintained and
> somebody asks "is it going to happen?" and then somebody does it.
>
> > You'll notice immediately c8s is clearly CentOS Stream, c8 is CentOS as
> > we use it daily, and c8-beta was setup during the beta.
> >
> > So - Redhat could easily just continue exactly as they are now.
>
> Except, Red Hat has clearly stated that they will *not* do exactly as
> they are now doing. CentOS 8 is dead. Long live CentOS 8 Stream.
>
> > CentOS Stream updates will be pushed to the c8s branch, RHEL updates
> > will continue to go to c8 branch as it does now, and perhaps c8-beta
> > branch will just get dropped (no longer necessary).
>
> This is a presumption, that I think will unfortunately prove false.
>
> > So in my opinion, they have already prepared for this with regards to
> > git.centos.org, it will just continue as I described above.
>
> They prepared it for CentOS Linux. CentOS Linux is dead. It will most
> likely not continue.
>
> Of course, if Red Hat would like to clarify here and tell me that I am
> absolutely wrong, and the "c8" branch will definitely be maintained
> into 2022, I will apologize for my doubt. Feel free to force me to
> apologize. I will be happy to apologize if I am wrong. Just let me
> know.
>
> --
> Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>

A fair question.  I've been in a few discussions related to this internally
and there are no plans to make changes for RHEL8 (IE: us sending our
debranded(ish) code to the centos git instance).  I could imagine scenarios
where that gets moved to gitlab.  But generally how we push will remain the
duration of RHEL8 - we just won't be building it into CentOS.  Don't take
this to mean it's a guarantee or that Red Hat promised or whatever.  I'm
just saying that at the moment we've discussed it, no one is currently
advocating for us to stop releasing RHEL8 code in the way we do, and so we
have no plans on changes there at this time.

For 9, it seems less likely we'll have the same branching structure unless
we've got some particular use for it as part of the CentOS Stream process.
All the code will be in GitLab as part of stream but exactly how that gets
linked to point in time releases, branches, etc -  may be part of our
internal release process.

        -Mike