[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Laurențiu Păncescu

lpancescu at centosproject.org
Mon Jan 25 19:02:44 UTC 2021

On 1/25/21 7:29 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> A fair question.  I've been in a few discussions related to this
> internally and there are no plans to make changes for RHEL8 (IE: us
> sending our debranded(ish) code to the centos git instance).  I could
> imagine scenarios where that gets moved to gitlab.  But generally how we
> push will remain the duration of RHEL8 - we just won't be building it
> into CentOS.  Don't take this to mean it's a guarantee or that Red Hat
> promised or whatever.  I'm just saying that at the moment we've
> discussed it, no one is currently advocating for us to stop releasing
> RHEL8 code in the way we do, and so we have no plans on changes there at
> this time.

Excuse me, perhaps I'm reading too much into your words, just for my own
understanding: does this mean it's not clear if Red Hat will continue
forever to release the sources for RHEL publicly, and perhaps only
provide them to their customers, at some point in the future? I'm
thinking more from perspective of rebuilds like Alma Linux or Oracle EL
- they wouldn't have anything to rebuild by themselves anymore. With the
zero-cost RHEL covering the use case of many small companies and
hobbyists, I imagine this would be possible.