[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Mon Jan 25 23:32:51 UTC 2021
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 5:00 PM Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:36 PM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel <
> centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

snip

>> Without wanting to imply anything, but when I read between the lines:
>> This sounds that the next major RHEL releases will not provide sources
>> in a way, that allows someone to identify the current snapshot or point
>> in time of a RHEL release. That is exactly what people are complaining
>> about CentOS Stream and next minor release. So, everything (rpm
>> artifacts) are then on "upstream" (gitlab/rolling dev) and no more
>> "downstream" side (ftp:10yearsago, git:today). Do I misread this? (as
>> you stated, a multi-modal conversation would be more appropriate)
>>

> In an unusual turn of events, I actually should have been a tiny bit more
> ambiguous in my original response :).  We haven't decided what to do with
> RHEL9's source code yet.  It may end up at git.centos.org exactly as 8
> does today.  We're just not that far along in 9 development and those
> conversations haven't been finalized.  I can say though - were I to put
> myself in a RHEL-9 rebuilders shoes though, best case source is exactly as
> its are today.  Worst case I would have to look through the gitlab repo for
> specific versions I want as you've described above.

The above is *almost* English.  Trying again.

RHEL9's source code yet.  It may end up at git.centos.org exactly as 8 is
today.  We're just not that far along in 9 development and those
conversations haven't been finalized.  I can say though - were I to put
myself in a RHEL-9 rebuilders shoes - the best-case scenario is source
being exactly as it is today.  The worst-case scenario is I would have to
look through the CentOS-Stream gitlab repo for specific versions I want as
you've described above.

         -Mike