[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:27:20 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 5:45 AM Julien Pivotto <roidelapluie at inuits.eu> wrote:

> On 09 Jul 02:45, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 08:09:22AM +0200, Julien Pivotto wrote:
> >
> > Could you please configure your MUA to send text/plain or similar to the
> > CentOS lists?
>
> Sorry, the one and only time I sent a mail from my phone :(
>
> Providing stream as a continuity of 8 is the best thing to do, to show
> that we are confident and that the whole "stream fits most of the CentOS
> use case". It also has the side effect of better protecting the
> internet.
>

> Note that it will put a lot of pressure and bring a lot of users on
> stream.  It is a giant opportunity for stream, probably a unique
> opportunity.

Stream is driving users and companies away from CentOS. Many are
reviewing their previous usage and support. Many are questioning the
wisdom of a migration to RHEL and reviewing other options, such as non
RHEL based operating systems or a different supported operating
system. Amazon Linux 2, for example, has picked up a lot of clients by
porting more contemporary versions of system components like Python
3.7 to their RHEL 7 based operating system.

The backfire already happened. Having a solid end-date for the point
releases puts a timetable on migration decisions, which is useful.