[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Patrick Riehecky

riehecky at fnal.gov
Fri Jul 9 20:44:41 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 23:14 +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 7/9/21 7:32 PM, Patrick Riehecky wrote:
> > I'm really torn on these ideas.
> >
> > I guess I'm trying to sort out who we'd be helping most and who
> > we'd be
> > harming least with each of these ideas.
> >
> > Is there a CentOS user community of folks who apply nightly updates
> > but
> > don't respond to errors during that process?
>
> yes, there is. I know of installations ( not mine :)  ) which have a
> "yum -y update " run from cron.daily

I guess it is a workflow issue, but most of my hosts apply updates
nightly and when they fail to apply I (or another team member) look
into why.

To my mind this is compounded by AppStream/Modularity where some of
your streams may make some of your updates fail in new/interesting
ways.

I guess I'm wondering how far off the Best Practices we want to support
in Jan 2022...

"Set it and forget it" nodes that aren't "managed" by anyone are always
a problem.  But are those folks likely to blame us for issues vs folks
with managed systems who are "reading" the error reports from dnf-
automatic (etc) and aren't aware of Stream8?

I guess I'm not sure upgrading folks to Stream8 is in the 'predictable'
end of life workflow.

Pat