[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Jul 9 21:52:03 UTC 2021

On 7/9/21 11:44 PM, Patrick Riehecky wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 23:14 +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> On 7/9/21 7:32 PM, Patrick Riehecky wrote:
>>> I'm really torn on these ideas.
>>>
>>> I guess I'm trying to sort out who we'd be helping most and who
>>> we'd be
>>> harming least with each of these ideas.
>>>
>>> Is there a CentOS user community of folks who apply nightly updates
>>> but
>>> don't respond to errors during that process?
>> yes, there is. I know of installations ( not mine :)  ) which have a
>> "yum -y update " run from cron.daily
> I guess it is a workflow issue,

Yes, it is.

>   but most of my hosts apply updates nightly and when they fail to apply I (or another team member) look into why.

     Because you are part of an organization with proper infrastructure,
procedures and qualified people.

     Now think about a small shop with 1-2-3 systems, no IT budget and
no qualified personnel (*). They got help initially and
installed/configured the machines. Knowing that they have no admin or
external contractor, the person that did the installation tried to help
and left the machines in a state which more or less keeps them updated
automatically ( it's good to stay updated, right ? ). Maybe the failures
are even mailed to someone.. but that someone does not read the mails
because a) (s)he has actual but completely different work to do as
$DAYTASKS, b) there were never important automatic mails so reading
those is a pure loss of time  c) does not even understand what (s)he
reads in those mails.

     Not to mention the more interesting aspects generated by botched
updates ( see RHSA-2020:3216 ) which might lead to d) the systems hung
so no way to read the mails anyway.

> To my mind this is compounded by AppStream/Modularity where some of
> your streams may make some of your updates fail in new/interesting
> ways.
>
> I guess I'm wondering how far off the Best Practices we want to support
> in Jan 2022...

_THAT_ is a very good question. I will not hold my breath waiting for a
convenient answer.

> "Set it and forget it" nodes that aren't "managed" by anyone are always
> a problem.

Yes, they are. You are 1000 % right here. But yet they exist and leaving
them behind because "we do not care" is neither polite nor indicated (
from my point of view ).

>   But are those folks likely to blame us for issues

Again, yes, they are. " RH did it again, it worked yesterday but last
night it suddenly stopped working. And when I looked, guess what ? It
was not the OS I installed !!!!!11111"

>   vs folks with managed systems who are "reading" the error reports from dnf-
> automatic (etc) and aren't aware of Stream8?

The Universe is large and it has many aspects :)

> I guess I'm not sure upgrading folks to Stream8 is in the 'predictable' end of life workflow.

from my point of view , it is not. I cannot speak for CS8 but in C6 and
C7 I had ( rare ) issues when proprietary apps stopped working after
upgrading a lib or another. Or the kernel ( see Cisco's vpnclient whose
kernel module could no longer be compiled after a certain update of the
kernel ). I live in the world of EDA tools for VLSI development and
support for said tools is already problematic when running on more
"classic" OSes . A moving target like CS8 is not even envisioned. I
asked a developer from Synopsys a few years ago "Why do you always
support your application only on OSes which are at least 2 minor
releases behind the current one ?". His answer ? "We wait 6 months for
the release to stabilize and we need another 6 months for internal testing"

(*) I know, they should use an embedded router and externalize all IT,
maybe host everything in cloud. Reread the "no IT budget" part.