[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 02:46:27 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

> On 7/9/21 7:32 PM, Patrick Riehecky wrote:
> > I'm really torn on these ideas.
> >
> > I guess I'm trying to sort out who we'd be helping most and who we'd be
> > harming least with each of these ideas.
> >
> > Is there a CentOS user community of folks who apply nightly updates but
> > don't respond to errors during that process?
>
> yes, there is. I know of installations ( not mine :)  ) which have a
> "yum -y update " run from cron.daily

Against CentOS 8 Stream? I'd be surprised. I'd consider it on a test
server or cluster with some regression tests to keep an eye on what is
coming down the pike, but I normally wouldn't do it to any host or
container I used for anything like a production environment.

I've generally been *paid* for high reliability environments.
Regression issues are too frequent, especially if somebody has been
doing "pip install" or "gem install" as a root user, or does things
like multiple JDK installations. There's nothing like an update to the
openjdk 8 to overwrite the default settings of the openjdk 11 on the
same machine to make people throw tools at you, even if you warned
them.