[CentOS-devel] Proper CentOS Stream value for ID_LIKE

Fri Jul 9 16:27:19 UTC 2021
Mike Rochefort <mroche at redhat.com>

When it comes to CentOS Stream, should the ID_LIKE parameter
be changed to properly designate the upstream nature of CentOS
in regards to RHEL? As of now, both Stream 8 and 9 are using the
classic CentOS identifier of "rhel fedora". If the change of being
upstream is strict enough, CentOS should be changed to "fedora",
and RHEL should be altered to "centos fedora". However, I've got a
feeling a lot of scripts and tooling may be looking to see if "rhel" is in
the ID_LIKE parameter, which may end up preventing installations of
software on Stream for limited reasons. I don't have any examples
or numbers to back that up, just a hunch on how people use the
os-release (and redhat/centos-release) file.

Is this something that should be adjusted, or left as is for compatibility?

--
Mike Rochefort