[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Fri Jul 9 07:31:45 UTC 2021
Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:

> As we get closer to the CentOS Linux 8 EOL, we're getting more and more
> questions about how the EOL is actually going to work. While there tends
> to be a great deal of "everybody just knows how it works" among the
> people actually on this list, we're getting attention from a much larger
> audience now, and they don't know.
>
> To that end, I want to make sure we have clear documentation,
> prominently displayed, that sets expectations as we get closer to that
> December 31 date,
>
> So ... as I understand, our process is basically:
>

> 1. Copy old data to vault.centos.org
> 2. Update web pages and links to say it is now on vault.centos.org
> 3. Turn off mirrorlist to that release name (aka all requests to
> CentOS-8 will 404)
> 4. Remove the data from the main mirrors with a file saying look at
> vault.centos.org
> 5. Mirrors pick all that up in 4-8 hours.

Just for confirmation, this applies to the SIGs content under centos/8/?

Note that some SIGs are not providing repos under 8-stream and just keep
using the repos under 8/ fos stream as those packages are compatible with
CS8. Will those repos be archived too?, that would require them to, at
least, cross-tagging the desired builds in 8s tags and update the release
rpms in cs8 estras repos.