[CentOS-devel] Two directories for 8.4.2105 and 8-stream in the centos mirrors

Thu Jul 8 13:18:46 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 07:48:32PM +1000, Burn Alting wrote:

> Recently, it appears that two directories for 8.4 and 8-stream are being
> distributed in the Centos mirrors.
>
> You can't see it if you view the mirrors, but if one downloads the
> filelist.gz file and grep for '^\.\/\.' one will see the directories, with
> content, .8.4.2105 and .8-stream.
>
> Can this be explained? An error or a new distribution concept??
>
> If the latter, then this may have an impact on those who have off-line
> repos which they manually rebuild.

I assume you're talking about:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/filelist.gz

I looked too, and with this command, I noticed the same:

$ curl -sS http://mirror.centos.org/centos/filelist.gz  | gzip -d | cut -d/ -f 1-2 | sort | uniq -c
      1 .
      1 ./2
      3 ./2.1
      1 ./3
      1 ./3.1
      1 ./3.3
      1 ./3.4
      1 ./3.5
      1 ./3.6
      1 ./3.7
      1 ./3.8
      2 ./3.9
      1 ./4
      2 ./4.0
      2 ./4.1
      3 ./4.2
      3 ./4.3
      2 ./4.4
      2 ./4.5
      2 ./4.6
      2 ./4.7
      2 ./4.8
      2 ./4.9
      1 ./5
      2 ./5.0
      2 ./5.1
      1 ./5.10
      2 ./5.11
      2 ./5.2
      2 ./5.3
      2 ./5.4
      2 ./5.5
      2 ./5.6
      2 ./5.7
      2 ./5.8
      2 ./5.9
      1 ./6
      3 ./6.0
      3 ./6.1
      2 ./6.10
      3 ./6.2
      3 ./6.3
      2 ./6.4
      2 ./6.5
      2 ./6.6
      2 ./6.7
      2 ./6.8
      2 ./6.9
      1 ./7
      2 ./7.0.1406
      2 ./7.1.1503
      2 ./7.2.1511
      2 ./7.3.1611
      2 ./7.4.1708
      2 ./7.5.1804
      2 ./7.6.1810
      2 ./7.7.1908
      2 ./7.8.2003
 194362 ./7.9.2009
      1 ./8
      2 ./8.0.1905
      2 ./8.1.1911
      2 ./8.2.2004
  90417 ./8.3.2011
  27301 ./.8.4.2105
  91603 ./8.4.2105
  40555 ./.8-stream
  60412 ./8-stream
     48 ./build
      1 ./dir_sizes
      3 ./dostools
      1 ./filelist.gz
      2 ./graphics
      1 ./HEADER.html
    108 ./HEADER.images
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-beta
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-3
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-7
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Debug-6
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Debug-7
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Official
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Security-6
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Testing-6
      1 ./RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-Testing-7
      1 ./TIME
      1 ./timestamp.txt

Ignore all the small numbers, those are basically empty directories.

So, as best as I can tell, there are two directories for the latest
CentOS8 and two directories for 8-stream, and they have different
content! What's up with that?