[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Fri Jul 9 15:41:57 UTC 2021
Carl George <carl at redhat.com>

I disagree with the suggestion that participation is required to use
CentOS Stream.  It's certainly recommended, but I have had multiple
people tell me personally that they switched from CL8 to CS8 and
forgot they did it and didn't notice a difference.  They didn't file
bugs, they didn't participate in IRC or the mailing list, they just
used it and it was fine.  CS8 hasn't been a constant thorn for them.
I'm not claiming it's been perfect, there have certainly been
regressions, but they are fixed faster than they ever were in CL8 (or
previous major versions) and I strongly feel that most users will be
best served by getting switched to CS8 at or just after the CL8 EOL.