[CentOS-devel] IBM re-licenses OpenAFS 1.0 under GPLv2 was Re: RFC: kmods SIG Proposal

Fri Jun 11 00:26:09 UTC 2021
Jeffrey E Altman <jaltman at auristor.com>

On 5/22/2021 5:51 PM, redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
(redbaronbrowser) wrote:
> It would be nice if the largest contributor of code to OpenAFS (some company called "IBM/Red Hat") could work towards relicensing under the GPLv2.

I am happy to report that IBM Legal has approved a request to re-license
the original 31 October 2000 IBM DeveloperWorks OpenAFS 1.0 distribution
under GPLv2.   The announcement was made today by Todd deSantis of IBM's
AFS Support organization in an e-mail to the OpenAFS Developer's mailing
list.

   https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2021-June/020707.html

This announcement is the result of more than a decade of behind the
scene efforts.  Yet it is just the first step in the journey that the
OpenAFS community must complete before a GPLv2 OpenAFS Linux kernel
module can be distributed.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Altman