[CentOS-devel] Can CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo be populated

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Mon May 17 17:40:55 UTC 2021

On 17/05/2021 14:32, Troy Dawson wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:22 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
> <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 17/05/2021 15:10, Troy Dawson wrote:
>      >
>      > On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel
>      > <centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>
>     <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>>>
>     wrote:
>      >
>      >     On 15.05.21 06:51, Troy Dawson wrote:
>      >     > Back when the CentOS 8 Devel repo[1] was originally
>     introduced, the
>      >     > CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo[2] was kept empty.
>      >     > Now that CentOS 8 is going away, and we are expected to
>     develop on
>      >     > CentOS Stream 8, could we please get CentOS Stream 8 Devel
>     populated
>      >     > with the same packages it once had.
>      >     >
>      >     > I know there is an initiative for all the missing -devel
>     packages to
>      >     > appear somewhere at sometime.  But here is my problem.
>      >     > I'm trying to get KDE rebuilt for CentOS Stream 8 due to the
>      >     updated qt5
>      >     > that is now in Stream.
>      >     > plasma-nm, a fairly important piece of KDE, requires
>      >     > mobile-broadband-provider-info-devel which is in the Devel
>     repo.
>      >     >  From what I see, the fastest way to get
>      >     > mobile-broadband-provider-info-devel somewhere that I can
>     consume
>      >     it on
>      >     > Stream is via the Devel repo.
>      >     > Thus my question.
>      >     >
>      >     > Can we get CentOS Stream 8 Devel populated with whatever is
>     in the
>      >     > regular Devel repo.
>      >     >
>      >     > Thanks
>      >     > Troy Dawson
>      >     >
>      >     > [1] -
>     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
>      >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>>
>      >     >
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
>      >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>>>
>      >     > [2] -
>      >
>     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
>      >
> [...]

I'm not sure I understand why this is even an issue anymore. Now CentOS
Stream is upstream of RHEL, surely there are no constraints to only ship
what RHEL (downstream) ships? Why wouldn't CentOS Stream simply ship
everything and if RHEL decides upon a policy to only ship/support a
certain subset of (-devel) packages, that is a RH/RHEL decision that can
be implemented downstream by removing the bits they don't want to
ship/support and should have zero impact upstream? RH/RHEL are free to
do whatever they want downstream.

Or have I completely misunderstood the relationship here?