[CentOS-devel] CentOS IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Wed May 19 17:32:25 UTC 2021
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 06:16:32PM +0100, Trevor Hemsley via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 18:09, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Can you elaborate a bit on the choice of libera.chat?  What made it
> > appealing to move to?  Why is it more trustworthy than freenode or
> > oftc?
>
> In case you hadn't followed the drama, freenode was subject to what appears
> to be a hostile takeover by a large company which some/many people distrust.
> I think that's probably the safest way to phrase it.

tl;dr version and this is accurate, yes.

Much longer version with lots of references written by a member of staff
that resigned this morning and is now on the new network:

https://gist.github.com/aaronmdjones/1a9a93ded5b7d162c3f58bdd66b8f491

If you want a complete background this is a good read.

							John

--
Among the many lessons that I've learned from this whole experience is to
try to speak a little bit less.

-- Former Illinois Governor Rod R. Blagojevich, after being convicted of 17
   counts in a corruption case, New York Times, 28 June 2011