[CentOS-devel] Missing packages on Devel repo

Thu Nov 18 16:04:53 UTC 2021
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 18.11.21 um 15:20 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:12 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> quota-devel is available in PowerTools
>>>
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/PowerTools/x86_64/os/Packages/quota-devel-4.04-14.el8.x86_64.rpm
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/PowerTools/x86_64/os/Packages/quota-devel-4.04-14.el8.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> It was previously over in 'Devel', until May as hinted by the RPM
>> timestamps. Try:
>>
>>         mock -r epel-8-x86_64 install quota-devel
>>
>> That works now if the 'Devel' repo is left disabled, but if the
>> 'Devel' repo is enabled, which it was in my "mock" setups due to just
>> this package, it now breaks. That's no longer a direct hindrance, but
>> it left my setups broken yesterday.
>
> I would encourage everyone to ignore the Devel repo.  This is an
> unpopular opinion, but it shouldn't have been created to begin with.
>
>> I'm afraid it reinforces my point about arbitrary and software
>> breaking re-arrangements of RPMs. It's part of why some companies and
>> some developers are simply refusing to touch RHEL 8 and CentOS 8.
>
> I can understand your frustration, but in this case someone followed
> the process to request the package be added in a user facing
> repository.  It wasn't arbitrary, but information about the request
> and inclusion could be better.

I think that such discussion misses the actual point. It is not about
EOL or whatever. Its about communication beforeand and consistency or
to use a concept that the audience a very familiar with, its about
deterministic behavior.

About the request; maybe all centos bug entries should be filled
in the bugzilla of RH (category: _unreleased_devel_pkgs)?

https://bugs.centos.org/view_all_set.php?filter=619675a0165f2&sort_add=category_id&dir_add=ASC&type=2

@Johnny: Thanks for the effort ...

About ansible:

@Nico: Maybe it is worth to work with Kevin together?