[CentOS-devel] nodejs version regression cs8 vs c8

Wed Aug 10 16:43:14 UTC 2022
Maxwell G <gotmax at e.email>

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 9:04:09 AM CDT Josh Boyer wrote:
> > The awkward bit is that nodejs:10 is still marked as the default module
> > in CS8, even though it's unsupported. This is not the only example since
> > the same can be said for the redis:5 and maybe more.

Other examples:
php 7.2 - May 2021
postgresql 10 - May 2024

EOL dates were taken from https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/
rhel-app-streams-life-cycle . Both of these modules have full life streams
which are not the default.

> Yes, that is indeed awkward, but it is also by design.  This is one of
> the things we learned and adjusted in RHEL 9/CentOS Stream 9.

Indeed, this was a pretty poor design decision. In addition to users getting
unsupported software by default, it causes problems for EPEL. Due to one of
the many deficiencies of modularity, we're only able to build against default
modules, even if they're unsupported.

--
Thanks,

Maxwell G (@gotmax23)