[CentOS-devel] nodejs version regression cs8 vs c8

Wed Aug 10 16:58:24 UTC 2022
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 8/10/22 11:43, Maxwell G via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 9:04:09 AM CDT Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> The awkward bit is that nodejs:10 is still marked as the default module
>>> in CS8, even though it's unsupported. This is not the only example since
>>> the same can be said for the redis:5 and maybe more.
>
> Other examples:
> php 7.2 - May 2021
> postgresql 10 - May 2024

I will tag and push these later if they are released in 8 Linux and not
8 Stream .. I have already tagged the nodejs:10 module.

If anyone knows any other items that are newer in 8 Linux and not
updated in 8 Stream, send it here.

I will need to verify these, of course, but I have permission now.

> EOL dates were taken from https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/
> rhel-app-streams-life-cycle . Both of these modules have full life streams
> which are not the default.
>

>> Yes, that is indeed awkward, but it is also by design.  This is one of
>> the things we learned and adjusted in RHEL 9/CentOS Stream 9.
>
> Indeed, this was a pretty poor design decision. In addition to users getting
> unsupported software by default, it causes problems for EPEL. Due to one of
> the many deficiencies of modularity, we're only able to build against default
> modules, even if they're unsupported.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes