[CentOS-devel] FreeIPA / Samba / SSSD - new packages same problems

Wed Dec 21 03:55:05 UTC 2022
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:12 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> We are working on moving the CentOS Stream 8 process to be like the
> CentOS Stream 9 process.  Once that process is in place it will help
> prevent issues like this.  But this takes time.

In the middle term, he building of FreeIPA and sssd on top of the same
libraries as Samba hinders updates to Samba. Samba does have the
ability to compile ldb, talloc, and the Heimdal kerberos libraries
internally. It's what I've been doing to backport current Samba
releases to RHEL/CentOS 8 and 9. I've also given up on current Samba
releases for RHEL 7, because of the gnutls dependencies.

This is one of those cases where demanding that Samba share these
libraries with these other components is counterproductive. My
samba.spec file to support this is at:

            https://github.com/nkadel/samba-4.17.x-srpm/blob/master/samba.spec

> The main reason these things can happen right now is the standard
> repoclosure does not work properly with modules integrated into the
> distribution.

Unfortunately, that word "module" is overburdened.

> We rolled in t_functional tests that catch many of these issues, like
> this test:
>
> https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-t_functional/blob/master/tests/0_common/50_test_comps.sh
>
> That tests comps install groups.
>
> When new items come up, we try to add tests to prevent them in the future.
>
> We are now working on a specific t_functional test to check the Samba,
> IPA, SSSD, evolution-mapi, openchange chain.

If I may suggest, don't test them together, for precisely the design
reasons I mention above. Samba and those other tools do not need to
share the same libtevent, libldb, etc.