[CentOS-devel] Is advanced-virt (Virtualization SIG) not relevant anymore with latest CentOS Stream 8?

Mon Jan 31 22:42:03 UTC 2022
Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com>

On 1/31/22 12:46, Mike Rochefort wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to square this with my not being able to find this update:
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2021:2098
>>
>> which has libvirt-7.0.0-14.module+el8.4.0+10886+79296686 and is listed for:
>>
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Virtualization 8
>>
>> which I don't see on my RHEL 8 machines:
>>
>> Available Packages
>> libvirt.x86_64       6.0.0-37.module+el8.5.0+12162+40884dd2
>> rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms
>> Any more insight would be appreciated, thanks.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, this module version is not part of RHEL
> but from the RHEL Advanced Virtualization 8 product. If you don't have
> the "advanced-virt{,-crb}-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms" repositories, you
> will not see these packages.

This is what I was confused about:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 2:04 PM Danilo de Paula <ddepaula at redhat.com
<mailto:ddepaula at redhat.com>> wrote:

    Yes, until RHEL 8.5 the latest-and-greatest virt packages used to be
    shipped within Advanced Virtualization. But since AV packages are part of
    RHEL now, there's no need for updating the SIG anymore because RHEL has
    the most updated packages

So, it seems that the latest-and-greated virt packages are still a part of the
RHEL Advanced Virtualization 8 product and *not* a part of RHEL8 proper
(though there are versions in the base product) as stated above?

--
Orion Poplawski
IT Systems Manager                         720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/