[CentOS-devel] announcing "extras-common" repo for Stream 8 , managed by SIGs

Wed Mar 30 09:43:33 UTC 2022
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

Following what was already implement for CentOS Stream 9 (see the
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2021-November/098666.html thread),
we have also created new tags on cbs.centos.org to let SIG build/push
their centos-release-* pkg (containing their public gpg key, and .repo
files for dnf/yum) for CentOS Stream 8.

While the extras8s-extras-common-{candidate,testing,release} tags were
all created some time ago (and some SIGs already tried this for -testing
tag, with pkgs landing on
https://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/8-stream/extras/), the -release tag
itself was still locked, until the same mechanism that was implemented
for Stream 9 would be working for Stream 8.

Now that newer centos-gpg-keys-8-6.el8.noarch and centos-stream-repos-
8-6.el8.noarch packages are available in CentOS Stream 8 BaseOS, that
means that we have now unlocked the extras8s-extras-common-release tag
and so SIGs can from now on just build and tag their centos-release*
packages directly through cbs and not having to ask a CentOS Stream core
member to just rebuild it through distro koji (aka
https://koji.mbox.centos.org)

PS : as you can see the /8-stream/extras/<basearch>/os/ repo is still
there,and still available on every installed CentOS 8s, but is also
"frozen" from now on. The new extras-common will be populated with new
builds coming from cbs.centos.org koji exclusively (as it's the case for
CentOS Stream 9)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab