[CentOS-devel] Are CentOS Stream 8 package updates stalled?

Fri Nov 4 16:16:13 UTC 2022
Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com>

This is how things work for CentOS Stream 9. Code goes to https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/ first (though Important and Critical CVE fixes go to RHEL before being published)

> But with security updates, it seems to be:
>
> Git ---> RHEL (current minor version) ---> RHEL rebuilds (Rocky, Alma, etc)
>
> I'm kind of surprised that my firefox and thunderbird builds still seem
> stuck at 91.13.0, when I've seen updates go by on the RHEL 8 channels
> with the newer firefox builds, etc.
>
> What is the flow for security updates to make it into CentOS Stream
> package repositories?  Is there some documentation describing this that
> maybe I missed?  I don't remember seeing this on the CPE newsletter either.

CentOS Stream 8 is still accomplished "inside-out", though. This means code is pushed from a RHEL nightly build and then rebuilt for release in CentOS Stream 8. We're working on transitioning Stream 8 to the "proper" workflow that 9 uses.

In this particular case, I see that Firefox 102 made it into the 27-Oct compose: https://composes.centos.org/CentOS-Stream-8-20221027.n.0/

We'll be looking into why this isn't showing up on the mirrors.