[CentOS-devel] Alternative Images SIG kickoff

Tue Nov 8 07:38:24 UTC 2022
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 02/11/2022 14:52, Troy Dawson wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:16 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ngompa13 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:18 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com
>     <mailto:tdawson at redhat.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      > The CentOS Alternative Images SIG is finally official.[1]  Time
>     to get things rolling.
>      > I have setup an IRC channel #centos-alt-images and a pagure
>     group[2], along with a sig repo[3] to track issues and documentation.
>      >
>      > I have requested a weekly meeting[4], Tuesdays at 1600 UTC on
>     #centos-meeting.
>      > It is currently weekly, but as things get setup we'll slow that
>     down to bi-weekly and possibly monthly.  We can also work on a
>     better time, but for now, that's what we have.
>      >
>      > Everybody is welcome to join and contribute to the SIG. The
>     current set of members is:
>      > * Troy Dawson
>      > * Neal Gompa
>      > * Robby Callicotte
>      > * Brian Stinson
>      > * Ondřej Budai
>      > * Davida Cavalca
>      > *Ali Erdinc Koroglu
>      >
>      > Roadmap and (Action) TODO List
>      > * SIG Setup
>      > ** Officially become a SIG (DONE)
>      > ** Determine when our meetings will be (DONE FOR NOW)
>      > *** Get them on the calendar (IN PROGRESS)
>      > ** Basic SIG Infrastructure setup
>      > *** IRC channel created (DONE)
>      > *** Git repo created (DONE)
>      >
>      > * Documentation Created
>      > ** Basic SIG documentation (STARTED)
>      > *** Configuration for creating images (NEED)
>      > *** Instructions for creating images (NEED)
>      > ** Configuration templates for members / potential members (NEED)
>      > ** Instructions for end users
>      > *** Where to get the images (NEED)
>      > *** How to use the images (NEED)
>      >
>      > * Infrastructure Setup
>      > * Install Imagebuilding setup in CentOS Stream and/or Fedora (NEED)
>      > * Live Image building setup in CentOS Stream and/or Fedora (NEED)
>      > * Images to Mirrors setup (NEED)
>
>     As part of existing Hyperscale work, I'm working with Tomas Kopecek
>     and Fabian Arrotin to get kiwi going in Koji for building images in
>     CBS: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/696
>     <https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/696>
>
>     I'm hoping this will get into a good place and be rolled out soon. :)
>

> That is great Neal.  Thank you for all you and the Hyperscale SIG have done.
>
> Since that is still a little ways off, I was thinking our first image
> could be
> a basic Minimal install image.  It would be a stand alone install image,
> but only have the packages you would get if you did a minimal install.
>
> Doing that minimal install image would get all our permissions in place,
> [...]

At this stage, there is no process on how to let SIGs produce their own
spins.

I see that CentOS board (and Davide) wrote this though :
https://sigs.centos.org/guide/spin/ but it doesn't explain in details
how to proceed.

Neal mentioned kiwi (still not working, but it's investigated at koji
side), while other people are pushing harder for ImageBuilder. (seems
the future)

So ideally we'd have a discussion on this list about how that should be
done/built.
And after that, we'll have to work on the releng part to let SIGs tag
such images so that they'll go out to the mirror network : so far we
only had to deal with RPM packages/repositories, and so the current
scripts that signs/pushes pkgs wouldn't know what to with cloud
images/appliances/iso images :) ...
Should be be easy to plumb though, the same way we already worked on the
.iso for the Kmods SIGs (https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/418)

So my take on this new SIG is : before anything else, it should be
discussed here (and common process so that we don't have different ones
in parallel)

@Troy : as you started the SIG, what's the tool you had in mind that
interact with koji/cbs.centos.org to let you build images ? So far we
have an ImageFactory/OZ combo in place, but that was never used though.

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab