[CentOS-devel] Alternative Images SIG kickoff

Wed Nov 2 13:52:58 UTC 2022
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:16 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:18 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > The CentOS Alternative Images SIG is finally official.[1]  Time to get
> things rolling.
> > I have setup an IRC channel #centos-alt-images and a pagure group[2],
> along with a sig repo[3] to track issues and documentation.
> >
> > I have requested a weekly meeting[4], Tuesdays at 1600 UTC on
> #centos-meeting.
> > It is currently weekly, but as things get setup we'll slow that down to
> bi-weekly and possibly monthly.  We can also work on a better time, but for
> now, that's what we have.
> >
> > Everybody is welcome to join and contribute to the SIG. The current set
> of members is:
> > * Troy Dawson
> > * Neal Gompa
> > * Robby Callicotte
> > * Brian Stinson
> > * Ondřej Budai
> > * Davida Cavalca
> > *Ali Erdinc Koroglu
> >
> > Roadmap and (Action) TODO List
> > * SIG Setup
> > ** Officially become a SIG (DONE)
> > ** Determine when our meetings will be (DONE FOR NOW)
> > *** Get them on the calendar (IN PROGRESS)
> > ** Basic SIG Infrastructure setup
> > *** IRC channel created (DONE)
> > *** Git repo created (DONE)
> >
> > * Documentation Created
> > ** Basic SIG documentation (STARTED)
> > *** Configuration for creating images (NEED)
> > *** Instructions for creating images (NEED)
> > ** Configuration templates for members / potential members (NEED)
> > ** Instructions for end users
> > *** Where to get the images (NEED)
> > *** How to use the images (NEED)
> >
> > * Infrastructure Setup
> > * Install Imagebuilding setup in CentOS Stream and/or Fedora (NEED)
> > * Live Image building setup in CentOS Stream and/or Fedora (NEED)
> > * Images to Mirrors setup (NEED)
>
> As part of existing Hyperscale work, I'm working with Tomas Kopecek
> and Fabian Arrotin to get kiwi going in Koji for building images in
> CBS: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/696
>
> I'm hoping this will get into a good place and be rolled out soon. :)

That is great Neal.  Thank you for all you and the Hyperscale SIG have done.

Since that is still a little ways off, I was thinking our first image could
be
a basic Minimal install image.  It would be a stand alone install image,
but only have the packages you would get if you did a minimal install.

Doing that minimal install image would get all our permissions in place,
our scripts and kickstarts in their places, and our initial workflow worked
out.
Since it would be a fairly small image, it wouldn't tax resources too much
while we worked things out.

Troy