[CentOS-devel] CentOS x86-64 SIG naming

Fri Apr 21 14:14:10 UTC 2023
Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>

During the board meeting, the naming issue was re-raised; “x86 SIG” just
isn't that great.  So I'd like to propose “x86-64 SIG” instead, with a
hyphen.  We use “x86_64” in the RPM architecture name and configure
triplets, but only because we must, as “-” is consindered a separator in
these contexts.  The official vendor-neutral architecture name is
x86-64.

During the meeting, I was under the impression that the board was
leaning towards a narrow scope, but that is not quite what the posted
minutes reflect.  Per Fabian's announcement, we have at least a bit of
wiggle room for non-x86 ISA experiments in CBS (ThunderX2 has LSE
atomics support).  Personally, I'm not interested in such experiments at
this time, though.  But we could call the SIG “ISA SIG” to keep open the
possibility for non-x86 work, if that's what people want.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Florian