[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of wiki.centos.org

Mon Feb 27 16:32:34 UTC 2023
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 7:05 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 03:06, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> Let's start discussing the future of wiki.centos.org !
>>
>> There was a CentOS Docs SIG day happening on monday after Fosdem and
>> during that day, we started to discuss the future of wiki.centos.org.
>>
>> As a reminder : https://wiki.centos.org is actually powered by moin
>> (http://moinmo.in/), which is :
>>   - python 2.x based
>>   - unmaintained
>>
>> It's also running on CentOS Linux 7 (for these requirements), itself
>> going EOL next year. Also worth adding that it's under constant spammer
>> load, with plenty of bots trying to write content, be denied, and trying
>> in a different way, so it's really a "whack a mole" game.
>>
>> For all these reasons, it has to be replaced by something else, (still a
>> wiki) or even better, be decommissioned entirely and eventually moved to
>> a git workflow.
>>
>> FWIW, it's what is used for all websites from various SIGs under
>> https://sigs.centos.org (including the SIG guide itself,
>> https://sigs.centos.org/guide)
>>
>> As a follow-up on the CentOS SIG day, an investigation (see
>> https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1061) was started as a PoC to just
>> extract wiki content in a readable (static) format, so that we can still
>> host a "read-only" version (archived) of wiki content, while a new
>> service (wiki or else) would replace it.
>>
>> All comments/remarks are welcome, and let's have a plan about what to do
>> (the sooner, the better)
>>

> I think a git pull-request oriented wiki-like would be better with some
> sort of  Markdown2HTML (fill in ascii format ) frontend. The older wiki can
> be dumped to html, html2markdown, cleaned up and then fronted with 'Hugo'
> or something.

Speaks a someone who recently started a SIG, it's confusing having half the
documentation in a wiki
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltImages

and half the documentation in a different place
https://sigs.centos.org/
https://sigs.centos.org/altimages/

I've had a really hard time with my documentation because each time I talk
to someone they point to a different place, and I have to literally
duplicate what I did in two different places.
My vote.  Drop the wiki entirely in a controlled manner.

Troy