[CentOS-devel] Enable FIDO2 Support in systemd

Fri Jan 20 20:38:30 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 3:00 PM Ersei Saggi via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> Hi CentOS team,
>
> By the RPM spec files, (https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/systemd/-/blob/c9s/systemd.spec#L599), FIDO2 support is disabled in systemd. FIDO2 support is very useful for automatic decryption of LUKS partitions with systemd-cryptsetup. This would allow for external security keys (such as a Yubikey) to decrypt drives with no user interaction. Currently, the current systemd configuration supports only TPM and GPG. In older devices that don't support TPM, the only option for no-interaction FDE decryption is to use GPG (which still requires a key access password to be remotely secure).
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no barrier to enable FIDO2 support. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

The barrier is that Red Hat would need to validate and support FIDO2
in Red Hat Enterprise Linux as CentOS Stream is the upstream of RHEL.
I believe some teams are looking into this, but I'm not sure what the
progress is.

josh