[CentOS-devel] ISA SIG rebuild status

Wed Jun 28 15:14:02 UTC 2023
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 11:09 AM Ali Erdinc Koroglu
<aekoroglu at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 28/06/2023 17:17, Dan Horák wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:39:14 +0300
> > Ali Erdinc Koroglu <aekoroglu at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Since we're build x86-64-v3, can we consider to add AVX2 deflate optimization for Zlib?
> >> Thanks to all for your hard work and efforts
> >
> > wouldn't it be better to focus on the zlib-ng project to be able to
> > provide hw optimized/accelerated zlib functions?
>
> I'm gonna submit a change proposal to replace zlib to zlib-ng for F41 or F42 but I don't think that even CentOS Stream 11 or RHEL11 can use that.
> So what I'm offering is since we did not brake any API/ABI in Zlib, AVX2 deflate optimization applicable for CentOS ISA SIG x86-64-v3

Why not submit it for Fedora 39 or Fedora 40? Then we can bring it
into CentOS Stream 10. Folks in the Hyperscale SIG would be interested
in helping with that.

Another alternative would be to switch to zstd as the zlib
implementation (which is also possible).