[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Thu May 11 12:13:20 UTC 2023
Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com>

On Thu, 11 May 2023 at 07:25, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> Let's chat about centos mailing lists !
>
> https://lists.centos.org is powered by mailman package, available in
> CentOS 7 , itself going EOL next year.
>
> There is no packaged (yet) mailman3 stack (more components than simple
> mailman 2 stack).
>
> Options :
>
> # use mailman2 package from RHEL8
> That means (in theory) that we can just reinstall the machine with
> RHEL8, and use the package that is available in AppStream repository:
> mailman.x86_64
> 3:2.1.29-12.module+el8.5.0+13466+327eb9f3.2
> Normally that should be more or less (to be tested though) transparent
> migration, but as that module is still relying on python2 itself, we
> don't know when it will itself go EOL in RHEL8 (BaseOS should be 10y but
> apps in AppStream can have a shorter TTL)

I am expecting that the mailman2 will go EOL with the rest of the python2
stack in

Application StreamRelease DateRetirement DateRelease
Python 3.9 May 2021 May 2024 8.4.0
Python 3.8 May 2020 May 2023 8.2.0
Python 2.7 May 2019 Jun 2024 8.0.0
(sorry html got added so if it causes email issues the end of life is Jun
2024) [1]

> # migrate to mailman3
> Clearly much more work to do including see if the mailman3 stack
> maintainer can branch to epel9 and then we can reuse it.
> Also time to investigate how to import previous archives from mailman2
> to mailman3 but should be doable (needs time to investigate and a PoC)

I know Fedora people have been working on this but that there seems to be
not enough 'Round Tuits'[2]for it to get done. I do not know what the
sticking points are but I think several of the people are also on the
CentOS Stream Hyperscale team so maybe they can say.

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhel-app-streams-life-cycle#rhel8_application_streams
[2] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/round_tuit