[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Thu May 11 13:38:27 UTC 2023
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 8:13 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2023 at 07:25, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> Let's chat about centos mailing lists !
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org is powered by mailman package, available in
>> CentOS 7 , itself going EOL next year.
>>
>> There is no packaged (yet) mailman3 stack (more components than simple
>> mailman 2 stack).
>>
>> Options :
>>
>> # use mailman2 package from RHEL8
>> That means (in theory) that we can just reinstall the machine with
>> RHEL8, and use the package that is available in AppStream repository:
>> mailman.x86_64
>> 3:2.1.29-12.module+el8.5.0+13466+327eb9f3.2
>> Normally that should be more or less (to be tested though) transparent
>> migration, but as that module is still relying on python2 itself, we
>> don't know when it will itself go EOL in RHEL8 (BaseOS should be 10y but
>> apps in AppStream can have a shorter TTL)
>>

> I am expecting that the mailman2 will go EOL with the rest of the python2
> stack in
>
> Application StreamRelease DateRetirement DateRelease
> Python 3.9 May 2021 May 2024 8.4.0
> Python 3.8 May 2020 May 2023 8.2.0
> Python 2.7 May 2019 Jun 2024 8.0.0
> (sorry html got added so if it causes email issues the end of life is Jun
> 2024) [1]
>

>> # migrate to mailman3
>> Clearly much more work to do including see if the mailman3 stack
>> maintainer can branch to epel9 and then we can reuse it.
>> Also time to investigate how to import previous archives from mailman2
>> to mailman3 but should be doable (needs time to investigate and a PoC)
>>

> I know Fedora people have been working on this but that there seems to be
> not enough 'Round Tuits'[2]for it to get done. I do not know what the
> sticking points are but I think several of the people are also on the
> CentOS Stream Hyperscale team so maybe they can say.

We've been working through it. I need to talk to Kevin Fenzi about fixing
the half-retired state mailman3 is in, and then we can start branching the
whole stack for EPEL 9 and get it built.