[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Thu May 11 12:35:57 UTC 2023
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 7:25 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> Let's chat about centos mailing lists !
>
> https://lists.centos.org is powered by mailman package, available in
> CentOS 7 , itself going EOL next year.
>
> There is no packaged (yet) mailman3 stack (more components than simple
> mailman 2 stack).
>
> Options :
>
> # use mailman2 package from RHEL8
> That means (in theory) that we can just reinstall the machine with
> RHEL8, and use the package that is available in AppStream repository:
> mailman.x86_64
> 3:2.1.29-12.module+el8.5.0+13466+327eb9f3.2
> Normally that should be more or less (to be tested though) transparent
> migration, but as that module is still relying on python2 itself, we
> don't know when it will itself go EOL in RHEL8 (BaseOS should be 10y but
> apps in AppStream can have a shorter TTL)
>
> # migrate to mailman3
> Clearly much more work to do including see if the mailman3 stack
> maintainer can branch to epel9 and then we can reuse it.
> Also time to investigate how to import previous archives from mailman2
> to mailman3 but should be doable (needs time to investigate and a PoC)
>
> # something else ?

Fedora has a Discourse instance and we've had some CentOS topics
there.  The CentOS lists are pretty low-traffic.  Perhaps we can just
migrate to Discourse and not have to run our own mailman instances and
servers?

josh