[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Sat May 13 15:21:11 UTC 2023
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2023-05-11 at 13:24 +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> # use mailman2 package from RHEL8
> That means (in theory) that we can just reinstall the machine with
> RHEL8, and use the package that is available in AppStream repository:
> mailman.x86_64
> 3:2.1.29-12.module+el8.5.0+13466+327eb9f3.2
> Normally that should be more or less (to be tested though)
> transparent migration, but as that module is still relying on python2
> itself, we don't know when it will itself go EOL in RHEL8 (BaseOS
> should be 10y but apps in AppStream can have a shorter TTL)

From the artwork side, this option is the most preferred one. It allows
us to reuse the ansible roles model we've been working on to customize
the application visual presentation and provide a unified look for
CentOS websites.

> # migrate to mailman3
> Clearly much more work to do including see if the mailman3 stack
> maintainer can branch to epel9 and then we can reuse it.
> Also time to investigate how to import previous archives from
> mailman2 to mailman3 but should be doable (needs time to investigate
> and a PoC)

This is also a viable option. Though, it would  require some time to
implement. I understand mailman3 provides a different/better options to
customize the application visual presentation than mailman2 does. I
could look into it and adapt what we have.

> # something else ?

Merging CentOS content into a Fedora application (e.g., using only
tags, categories and such), reduces the CentOS project visual
recognition considerably. The CentOS artwork sig is ruled by the idea
of "one unique name and one unique visual style for all visual
manifestations" which may be defeated if we cannot update the visual
presentation of the application the CentOS content is being moved to,
because it already serves a different project's visual identity.

Having CentOS applications running on Fedora infrastructure (or
elsewhere) is totally fine. The relevant part is having absolute
autonomy to visually present CentOS as a different project. One that
stands unique on its purpose.

Best regards,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>