[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of lists.centos.org (aka centos mailing-lists)

Thu May 11 13:09:35 UTC 2023
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 7:25 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> Let's chat about centos mailing lists !
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org is powered by mailman package, available in
>> CentOS 7 , itself going EOL next year.
>>
>> There is no packaged (yet) mailman3 stack (more components than simple
>> mailman 2 stack).
>>
>> Options :
>>
>> # use mailman2 package from RHEL8
>> That means (in theory) that we can just reinstall the machine with
>> RHEL8, and use the package that is available in AppStream repository:
>> mailman.x86_64
>> 3:2.1.29-12.module+el8.5.0+13466+327eb9f3.2
>> Normally that should be more or less (to be tested though) transparent
>> migration, but as that module is still relying on python2 itself, we
>> don't know when it will itself go EOL in RHEL8 (BaseOS should be 10y but
>> apps in AppStream can have a shorter TTL)
>>
>> # migrate to mailman3
>> Clearly much more work to do including see if the mailman3 stack
>> maintainer can branch to epel9 and then we can reuse it.
>> Also time to investigate how to import previous archives from mailman2
>> to mailman3 but should be doable (needs time to investigate and a PoC)
>>
>> # something else ?
>
> Fedora has a Discourse instance and we've had some CentOS topics
> there.  The CentOS lists are pretty low-traffic.  Perhaps we can just
> migrate to Discourse and not have to run our own mailman instances and
> servers?
>
> josh

What I'm really missing is a mailing list which covers them all, RHEL,
CentOS including all the clones like Alma, Rocky, Navy, Springdale,
Oracle, EuroLinux and what else. CentOS list was the one in the past but
since CentOS Stream it has lost many users.

Am I the only one missing such a list?

Thanks,
Simon