[CentOS-devel] The c10s dist tag confusion: .el10+3 > .el10

Wed Feb 14 17:29:45 UTC 2024
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 8:41 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 14. 02. 24 15:17, Troy Dawson wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 5:19 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:ngompa13 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 8:07 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok at redhat.com
> >     <mailto:mhroncok at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >      >
> >      > Hello.
> >      >
> >      > What is the planned c10s dist tag scheme? I've noticed many
> builds use
> >     .el10+3
> >      > nowadays. Do we plan to ever lower that down to .el10? And if so,
> how do we
> >      > deal with the fact that .el10+3 > .el10?
> >      >

> >     I believe the plan is to do a mass rebuild after disconnection to
> move
> >     to .el10. That will raise the more significant digit (leading number
> >     in the Release field) to make it effectively higher.
> >

> > Neal is correct, but it will be a bit more.
> > We will bump it once more to .el10+4 today, and do a mass rebuild (Using
> their
> > own buildroots, and nothing from ELN).
> > We expect that will take a week.
> > We will then change the tag to .el10 and do another mass rebuild.
>
> Bumping the more significant digit or not?
>
> > In theory, everything should just build.  We'll see how that is in
> practice.
> > There will be a few more things we'll be doing, but in the end
> everything
> > making it into -gate -candidate and -pending will have a .eln10 dist-tag.
>
> So basically even if it won't sort correctly, the .el10+X uilds are not
> intended to be composed/distributed beyond Koji. Do I get that right?

Well, they are in the composes right now.  But you are not expected to use
them, and if you are, don't gripe to us.
There will be no el10+ packages at the RHEL 10 Beta.
If there are still el10+ packages when we are getting close to beta, start
working with the package maintainer.
In an ideal world, there will be no el10+ packages by the end of the month.
But I'm a realist, and am expecting something to go wrong somewhere.
Troy