[CentOS-devel] Feedback on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 plans

Tue Jan 9 14:19:45 UTC 2024
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 7:17 AM Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
> wrote:

>> Though
>> account
>> involving
>> from

>> new
>> >>

>> > That would be funny but - it seems that RH's agenda does not have a
>> > focus on workstation scenarios anymore. Main productivity applications
>> > are already marked as deprecated. So, they will not be included in a
>> > future major release:
>> >
>> > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/9.3_release_notes/deprecated-functionality#deprecated-packages
>>
>> I'm working for a company in the retail business and we're running
>> exclusively on (RH)EL/clones for the lasts decades. Also running remote
>> desktops using our own solution based on NX libs. It was a pain to
>> realize
>> that RHEL is drifting away more and more from providing what is required
>> in our environment. It became clearer and clearer that our future road
>> will go away from RHEL despite maintaining quite a large inhouse repo
>> for
>> all kind of our own packages of software used, from development to
>> normal
>> office to server applications.
>>

> None of these packages are a surprise though: Qt 5 is being replaced
> with Qt 6[1], Motif is dead, Xorg is being replaced with Xwayland[2],
> LibreOffice transitioned to the community in Fedora in the summer[3],
> GTK2 is EOL upstream, gedit is replaced with gnome-text-editor[4][5],
> etc.
>
> If people care about using RHEL as a workstation as customers, they
> should be making that known through their contacts with Red Hat Sales
> and Red Hat Support. What I've gathered so far is that this is
> happening for some of them because they believe customers aren't
> really using them and so the effort is wasted. Some of them are for
> other reasons (Motif/GTK2 being dead, Wayland being the future, etc.),
> but dedicated RHEL workstation priority use-cases are counted through
> purchases of RHEL subscriptions for that purpose. If you're not doing
> that, then it's no surprise they think nobody is using them.

What I'd be interested to know is what Red Hat is using internally these
days to run their business.

In the past I really thought they may be using their on RHEL product line
for their corporate use. But today I start to believe they may probably use
the same industry standard crap everybody is using.

Would be really interesting to be a mouse in Red Hat's own offices and
headquarters :)

Regards,
Simon