[CentOS-devel] Feedback on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 plans

Tue Jan 9 19:16:19 UTC 2024
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 2024-01-08 01:43, Simon Matter wrote:
> IMHO the whole IT industry and community does quite a bad job here making
> systems obsolete on a large scale with no real technical requirement.
> Technically, it would be possible to implement complete operating systems
> and applications in a way which makes them dynamically select and use the
> offered capabilities of the underlying hardware. We really should never
> forget that.

I don't think anyone has forgotten that, or that they don't know how to
support both.  Red Hat's stated reasoning seems to be that they want to
reduce the burden of testing multiple code paths when older systems
continue to be supported:

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2024/01/02/exploring-x86-64-v3-red-hat-enterprise-linux-10#

"if RHEL 10 requires the x86-64-v3 baseline, ISVs will be able to rely
on it, too. This reduces maintenance cost for some ISVs because they no
longer need to maintain (and test) AVX and non-AVX code paths in their
manually tuned software."