[CentOS-devel] lists.centos.org migration to mailman3 : RFC !

Thu Mar 21 12:02:01 UTC 2024
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 3:39 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org> wrote:

> As mentioned in previous thread about centos 7 EOL, one of the last
> application that was still running on centos linux 7 is mailman, serving
> centos lists for a long time now.
>
> Thanks to all the hard work done by community contributors (thanks
> Michel, Neal and others having participated !), there is now a fully
> functional mailman3 stack available in Epel9.
>
> There are still very minor things to do to be 100% ready for a real
> migration, but we should have a stable .stg. instance deployed very
> soon. (There is a sandbox instance that is reinstalled / scratched for now)
>
> While importing existing lists/archives from mailman2 to mailman3 test
> instance, there was a discussion (in a Matrix room) about eventually
> using this migration as an opportunity to rename the lists.
>
> For legacy reasons (don't know why as it was even before I joined the
> project :) ) , lists were created on the same box as MX record for
> centos.org and so lists were usually called : <lists>@centos.org.
> The (usual) method is instead to create a dedicate host/sub-domain that
> will hosts mailling lists, like lists.<domain> and so lists.centos.org
> (amusingly that's also the hostname we have for the https instance but
> not for the existing lists)
>
> As the discussion was just happening in a Matrix room, and more like a
> brainstorming session, I thought it would be better (for awareness) to
> start a real thread on this list, as it's about the future of the list
> itself :)
>
> Some people suggested to rename lists like this : (example):
>
> centos-devel at centos.org => devel at lists.centos.org
>
> While technically that seems to work (tested on the import from mailman2
> to mailman3) , it would need local aliases so that mails sent to
> previous address list would just still go to new list (to be tested as I
> don't know which checks are done by mailman-core now, and SPF, DMARC,
> DKIM, etc if we just create aliases)
>
> This is a RFC (request for comments) thread so let us know what you
> think .. ideally before we start migrating the real instance :-)

The move to lists.centos.org is necessary so the mail policies can be
handled correctly. That's why lists.fedoraproject.org and
lists.opensuse.org are set up the way they are, too.

As for renaming mailing lists, I think we should deduplicate the
"CentOS" name out of the lists, so the mapping would be like so:

* CentOS-devel at centos.org -> devel at lists.centos.org
* CentOS at centos.org -> general at lists.centos.org
* CentOS-{lang}@centos.org -> general-{lang}@lists.centos.org

The rest are straightforward, similar to these.

When I helped with the migration to mailman3 on the openSUSE side, we
did a similar move and made sure the old addresses redirect to the new
ones.