[CentOS-devel] lists.centos.org migration to mailman3 : RFC !

Mon Mar 18 07:39:25 UTC 2024
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

As mentioned in previous thread about centos 7 EOL, one of the last
application that was still running on centos linux 7 is mailman, serving
centos lists for a long time now.

Thanks to all the hard work done by community contributors (thanks
Michel, Neal and others having participated !), there is now a fully
functional mailman3 stack available in Epel9.

There are still very minor things to do to be 100% ready for a real
migration, but we should have a stable .stg. instance deployed very
soon. (There is a sandbox instance that is reinstalled / scratched for now)

While importing existing lists/archives from mailman2 to mailman3 test
instance, there was a discussion (in a Matrix room) about eventually
using this migration as an opportunity to rename the lists.

For legacy reasons (don't know why as it was even before I joined the
project :) ) , lists were created on the same box as MX record for
centos.org and so lists were usually called : <lists>@centos.org.
The (usual) method is instead to create a dedicate host/sub-domain that
will hosts mailling lists, like lists.<domain> and so lists.centos.org
(amusingly that's also the hostname we have for the https instance but
not for the existing lists)

As the discussion was just happening in a Matrix room, and more like a
brainstorming session, I thought it would be better (for awareness) to
start a real thread on this list, as it's about the future of the list
itself :)

Some people suggested to rename lists like this : (example):

centos-devel at centos.org => devel at lists.centos.org

While technically that seems to work (tested on the import from mailman2
to mailman3) , it would need local aliases so that mails sent to
previous address list would just still go to new list (to be tested as I
don't know which checks are done by mailman-core now, and SPF, DMARC,
DKIM, etc if we just create aliases)

This is a RFC (request for comments) thread so let us know what you
think .. ideally before we start migrating the real instance :-)

Kind Regards,

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]