[CentOS-docs] HowTos/MigrationGuide

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 26 12:21:44 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 22:11 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > Please (particularly Smooge) review and comment on the new content at
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide
> >
> > Based heavily on the pieces I added earlier to
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/Migration/5
> >
> > Tried to keep it general.

Have yet to see any specific suggestions that would change the content
HowTos/MigrationGuide other than the previously discussed (emphasize
that fresh installs are STRONGLY recommended, only address x -> x+1
upgrades).  Will assume silence means consent pending further comments.

> > Would assume that we want only one page on Migration with sub-pages for
> > specific versions.  I referred to the CentOS 3 FAQ entry on WBEL
> > migration but it would seem to be cleaner to change the structure to
> > something like
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/CentOS2
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/CentOS5
> >
> > FAQ entries could point to the corresponding sub-pages.  Opinions?
> >

> Phil, thanks for doing this stuff.
>
> I just want to confirm with you - what page are we going to link to from
> the centos-5-release notes ?

Sorry for not trimming the post, but there's been a lot of wandering
already in this thread, so leaving the context.  :-)

My $0.02 would be that there should be 2 links in the centos-5-release
notes :

1. To the work-in-progress general page HowTos/MigrationGuide
2. To the vaporware version-specific page HowTos/MigrationGuide/CentOS5
[Where things like how to migrate from EL5 and friends, upgrade from
CentOS4, what to do about left-over packages (which can be a huge PITA
for desktop/workstation users, and are more likely to occur on a machine
with a bunch of 3rd party packages installed to support things like
browser plugins and multimedia) would reside.]

Things like the content or the current WBEL 3 FAQ entry would move to
the corresponding sub-page when the concept is accepted and they are
created.

Phil