[CentOS-docs] HowTos/MigrationGuide

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Mon Mar 26 17:13:34 UTC 2007

Hello Phil,

shouldn't we add something like "Before doing the Migration please
upgrade to the most recent release". This would probably help to support
issues that arise from the migration itself, as we have a "known good"
base from where the migration is done (I know, you should always run the
latest release. But I'd explicitly mention it again).
Maybe upstream will fix at least some of the migration issues in the
next update spin - at least if we tell them what issues are there.

I know we don't support these migrations at all, but it would be great
if there was a "Issues you'll probably run into"-section concerning
problems that arise when you use "software X" and migrate. Like Gnome's
usersettings, migration of evolution and firefox profiles, etc.

We could also add a list of packages that makes CentOS 5 "compatible" to
CentOS 4 binaries?
There are compat-packages, but most people just think "why the hell did
my software break? I know there a dependencies in RPM, but I also know
that many people are running binary 3rd-party software and stuff dropped
in /usr/local and /opt which is not managed with RPM.
Some of these programs will probably stop working (glibc, libstdc++,
...), so we should provide information how to make a CentOS n+1 system
as compatible as possible to CentOS n. Maybe with a list like "if you
still want to run X you have to install Y" or maybe just "install
compat-* we don't care".
And we should probably also mention issues where you already use
compat-libs on CentOS 4 and what will happen to them on an upgrade (I
guess they'll stay in place, but in fact I don't have any idea what the
upgrade-code will do)

Regards,
Andreas Rogge