[CentOS-docs] Wiki FrontPage Proposition

Alain Reguera Delgado

alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:48:59 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>
> > What do you think about this structure:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/FrontPageProposal?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wiki-structure-5-en.png
>
> It is definitely an improvement over what we have now, but in my opinion
> there are too many blocks. And the documentation block looks like it is a
> permanent menu, while it is not.
>
> Again, I believe we need a left-handside permanent menu that helps
> navigate the content. And the content is the first people need to see. So
> I would move the screenshot to the right, put a small introduction on the
> left, and immediately show not more than 7 sections. So that people in a
> glimp of an eye, can see what choices they have and make a choice.
>
> The importance of not more than 7 links is that people can remember
> and return to those 7 choices. Too many links on a frontpage trembles that
> structure.

Actually we could have those links. See the horizontal navigation bar,
just below logo image. They are: RecentPages, FindPages,
SiteNavigation, HelpContent and we could add Documentation, Download,
Contribute, Promote, Translate, About, and others ... the list of all
links is greater than 7. We need to decide which one will end up
putting there.

What links would you like to put there (explicitly) ?

> (the left-handside menu of course does not have to be on the frontpage if
> it is in a permantent block on the left for every subsequent page, still
> having it there helps for consistency)

My vote is for consistency and so for a left-sidebar in all pages, in
a left-sidebar design.